CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 19, 2011

Monday, Monday!

I wonder if all teachers go crazy on Monday!!!  No matter how late I stay at school on Friday, or how much work I do over the weekend...Monday is always so crazy...at least it feels like that!  I was at school till 7:00 on Friday night, worked at home on Saturday on the computer for at least 4-5 hours, and worked in my room on Sunday for about 3 1/2 - 4 hrs...and I still wasn't 100 % ready for the day!  I still had to cut some things out for some games I made for my centers, I had papers that had to be run off, as well as getting my test papers together to go home...which never did happen until after 3:00!!!  I stayed after school till 5:30 today and finished getting things ready for the rest of the week...now I feel better about things.

Ok...enough of that!  We have an exciting week ahead of us...a lot to learn and a lot to do!  We are on our second descriptive paragraph.  We use the Write Source program for our Language curriculum.  This is our 3rd year using this program, and I'm really just feeling comfortable with it.  The 3rd grade ELA teachers at our school did an in-service this summer for all of the teachers in our district, and the tips and strategies they showed us really made me feel a lot more comfortable teaching this program.  I can truly say that I feel like my students are getting so much out of our ELA time this year!  It amazes me how just a few great tips and strategies can take you from feeling like something is impossible to feeling like this is really a great program!

I really believe that part of the reason our school has been able to achieve such great strides is because of the Reading and Math series that we have been using.  Five years ago we began using the DEEP Math program, along with the Everyday Counts program.  If you have never seen the DEEP Math program, I think you would be amazed!  It's nothing but word problems...starting in 1st grade!  It really teaches the kids to think analytically!  We only teach short lessons at the beginning of some lessons.  The students work with a partner to figure out how they can get the answer to the problem.  After the students learn how to be a good partner, this works great!  Our students have improved dramatically in Math since we began using the program.  This is our 4th year using Harcourt Storytown.  Before Storytown we used SFA for 12 years I think!  It was PAST time for a change, and a good change it was!  I really like Storytown...a lot!!!  I poured my heart and soul into creating and making meaningful center activities for my students!  I plan on sharing all of the games that I made.  My students love center time...I love knowing that their center time is not being filled with just some time consuming activities, they are enjoying some really great educational activities that I believe are helping to enrich their learning.

If you have time to leave some comments, let me know what curriculums yall are using and what you think about them!  If you use any of the curriculums we are using I would LOVE to hear what you have to say about them!

I hope you all have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I know I'm posting on an old post, but I found you from another blog by someone for LA and just wanted to say hello! I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete